Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Milk it does a body good!

This past weekend Ryan graduated from formula to cow's milk. A whole month ahead of schedule I know, but he really wanted nothing to do with bottles anymore and enjoys a sippy cup with his meals. Also he has been eating dairy products for many months without any problems so I thought we should give it a try. After all, when I was a baby we were given cow milk at 3 months! Do you believe that?!?!? So much has changed in 30 years....
Anyway, I gave him his first glass Friday afternoon after his nap (when he would normally take a bottle). I put it in his sippy and gave him a few animal crackers as a snack. he picked the cup up, started drinking, and then got this big huge grin on his face! He looked at me and went "yummmmmmmmmy, mommmmy"! He drank 4 ounces! And another 6 with his dinner that night! So far, 5 days later, we have not had a problem with it! I am so relieved. With the exception of his possible egg allergy or intolerance, we are on easy street as far as food is concerned.
I do have a milk question for everyone:
Do you use hormone-free milk? Now, I looked at the organic milk and I really can't justify the cost. It would cost me more than formula on a monthly average. A local dairy makes a milk that is from cows that are "certified to be RbST and antibiotic free". This is only 10 cents more per gallon.
HOWEVER, they only make it in skim and 2%. Everything I have read indicates that babies should have whole milk until they are 2. I guess I need to decide what is more important - milk fat or hormone free milk....
I do have another grocery store to try - I have heard that they may have a hormone free whole milk available. I guess I will check it out after work.
So what does everyone else give their kids?

3 comments:

Mama C-ta said...

Congrats on the next step!! I wondered about the hormone free milk thing too and what we'd do. But guess we need to see if he can even have milk then first! I think Organic would be better but still not sure if we'd do it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Jackie hasn't tried cow's milk but will very soon. I hope she likes it just as much as Ryan does!

Andrea said...

Rachel-
I am thinking along the same lines as you. I have bought the organic for now, but I am hoping our pediatrician can shed some light on it for us when we see her next month. Gav will give up the bottle when he is ready - Ryan still takes his before bed and sleeps with a pacifier. They are still babies after all (even if they don't think they are!!)