Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Milk it does a body good!

This past weekend Ryan graduated from formula to cow's milk. A whole month ahead of schedule I know, but he really wanted nothing to do with bottles anymore and enjoys a sippy cup with his meals. Also he has been eating dairy products for many months without any problems so I thought we should give it a try. After all, when I was a baby we were given cow milk at 3 months! Do you believe that?!?!? So much has changed in 30 years....
Anyway, I gave him his first glass Friday afternoon after his nap (when he would normally take a bottle). I put it in his sippy and gave him a few animal crackers as a snack. he picked the cup up, started drinking, and then got this big huge grin on his face! He looked at me and went "yummmmmmmmmy, mommmmy"! He drank 4 ounces! And another 6 with his dinner that night! So far, 5 days later, we have not had a problem with it! I am so relieved. With the exception of his possible egg allergy or intolerance, we are on easy street as far as food is concerned.
I do have a milk question for everyone:
Do you use hormone-free milk? Now, I looked at the organic milk and I really can't justify the cost. It would cost me more than formula on a monthly average. A local dairy makes a milk that is from cows that are "certified to be RbST and antibiotic free". This is only 10 cents more per gallon.
HOWEVER, they only make it in skim and 2%. Everything I have read indicates that babies should have whole milk until they are 2. I guess I need to decide what is more important - milk fat or hormone free milk....
I do have another grocery store to try - I have heard that they may have a hormone free whole milk available. I guess I will check it out after work.
So what does everyone else give their kids?

6 comments:

rachelayn said...

Andrea, I gave Kaleb whole milk at 9 months because he was such a chunky butt. I figured he'd be fine. My mom put me on cow's milk at 2 weeks, holy cow! I just bought the regular whole milk. I know nothing about anything organic, hormone free, etc.

Mama C-ta said...

Congrats on the next step!! I wondered about the hormone free milk thing too and what we'd do. But guess we need to see if he can even have milk then first! I think Organic would be better but still not sure if we'd do it anyway.

Becki said...

I do give Scottie organic milk/hormone free and have since he started drinking it. I drink it myself. If you can't justify the cost, I would give him the regular whole until he is two because I agree that the fat in whole is very important for their brain development in their second year. I started giving Scottie 2% when he turned two.

Joana said...

Jackie hasn't tried cow's milk but will very soon. I hope she likes it just as much as Ryan does!

Rachael said...

Gavin loved the whole milk too. We will be out of formula by mid week so he will be fully weaned too.
Man it would be my dream if Gavin refused the bottle. But it's his lifeline and I know it is going to be at least a year before we wean him off it.
As for milk, we just buy old fashion Whole milk. We aren't into the whole organic thing. John and i have read so many studies that show that kids don't grow up any better being on an organic diet. If the organic milk is going to cost as much as formula, there would be no way I could justify that. I would much rather put the extra money towards a college education.

Andrea said...

Rachel-
I am thinking along the same lines as you. I have bought the organic for now, but I am hoping our pediatrician can shed some light on it for us when we see her next month. Gav will give up the bottle when he is ready - Ryan still takes his before bed and sleeps with a pacifier. They are still babies after all (even if they don't think they are!!)