Wednesday, February 15, 2006

17 weeks

I had a midwife appointment on Monday. I got to meet my midwife's partner. She is very nice and I am comfortable with either of them at this point so I guess that is a good thing. I finally gained a little weight - so my total weight gain so far is a half a pound. She did say she would like to see me gain a few pounds by my next appoitnment - I don't think that will be a problem :)
Everything else was good. We had a difficult time finding the heartbeat again - they think the placenta is partially in the front of my uterus, but probably wrapping around the side since I am feeling significant baby movements on one side and nothing on the other!
I declined all genetic testing. Our reasoning is that there is no history of genetic disorders in either family and I am only 31 so I guess my odds are about 1 in 500. If someone told me I had a 1 in 500 chance of winning a drawing I would assume that I wouldn't win. That being said we have scheduled a level II ultrasound for February 27th! I can't wait to see the little one!!!
Only other thing from the appointment is that she would like me to start seeing a chiropractor since I am having quite a bit of siatic back pain. I got a referral and just need to call and set up an appointment!

3 comments:

joana said...

Andrea, keep me posted on the chiropractor appointment. I had really bad sciatic pain with Jackie and at 10 weeks it's already starting to flare up again. UGH! Tylenol does not help me at all.

Mama C-ta said...

Glad to hear you are comfortable with your midwives. Are you having a home birth, I may have missed that.

I still am shocked when I hear pregnant women not gaining weight. How is that possible! I threw up everything I ate and gained 60!

Rachael said...

I declined al lthe testing too. I have known so many people who had false positives.
I have got to ask my doctor about a chiropractor. I have the sciatic nerve pain as well. Not to mention horrible lower back pain. Let me know if your visits help!